Long haul flights are boring, tiring and uncomfortable. Here are my tips to make the more enjoyable.
- Bring entertainment. That can be as simple as fully charging your electronic devices a bringing a powerbank with you, to buying a good book and a stack of trashy magazines. If you’re crafty like me then you might want to bring some basic art supplies, colouring books and a sketchbook. You get some great credit card sized colouring books that you can pull the pages out of and stick in your travel journal.
- Aeroplanes get cold. Bring a large scarf to wrap around yourself or some cosy layers to put on. A large scarf can also act as a comfy neck pillow when folded.
- Bring some basic skincare supplies. Consider moisturiser, lip balm, face wipes and a face spray. Not only will having a mini pampering session kill sometime, it will also help you feel more relaxed and comfortable. If you’re not worried about what the other passengers might think you could go all out on the pampering bring a sheet mask. I also recommend taking a travel size Deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash on the plane to keep you feeling fresh and human. As well as a spare change of underwear.
- Getting plenty of sleep is key. If you struggle with noise I recommend earplugs or if you’re like me and don’t like the idea of them then a great pair of comfy headphones is just as good. I really love my Frends Taylor headphones. You can use them to listen to soothing white noise. An eye mask is also great a blocking out the unnatural aeroplane light. Mine is from Holistic Silk.
- Get some exercise. Now I don’t mean that you should attempt a full cardio workout on the plane but it is important to keep moving. Sitting still for a long time can result in ankle swelling, leg ache, and even blood clots and deep vein thrombosis. Go for a walk up and down the plane or try some exercise in your seat by lifting your feet off the floor and moving them. You could also invest in a pair of compression socks. I personally bring a pair of slippers with me on the plane. Mine are from Holistic Silk and have magnets in the soles which are designed to help with circulation. I still like to go on a walk up and down the aisles though.
- Keep hydrated. You should always drink more water than you usually would when on a plane. Once you get flight side you can pick up a bottle of water. Don’t be afraid to keep asking the flight attendants to fill it up for free. It’s far more effective than asking for a glass.of water as they will provide you with a tiny plastic cup that hold barely enough liquid for a mouse. Let alone a human. If you already have a favourite drinks bottle you can bring it though security empty and get it refilled on the plane. Another great way to stay hydrated is to avoid caffeine and alcohol but that’s not always very fun if you’re starting your holiday.
- Take some snacks. Meals on planes will be served at controlled times. If you get hungry in between and don’t want to pay a fortune for overpriced aeroplane chocolate and crisps then bring your own.
- Wear comfy clothing. You don’t need to look like a slob in pajamas or sweat pants but I do recommend as a women to wear leggings, a loose t-shirt, a Cardigan and have a big scarf to wrap round when it gets cold. Men same again. Loose fitting comfortable trousers are key with a loose fitting top. Remember to layer your clothes to keep yourself at a good temperature and avoid the skinny jeans at all costs.
- Invest in a good carry on bag. One with separate compartments and pockets is good as it helps you organise all your items. For example you can keep toiletries in one section, electronics in another and books/ magazines in a third. This makes it easier when you are trying to pull something out of your bag in a confined space.
- Planes are germy. Don’t forget to pack hand sanitiser. It’s key. With the recycled air on planes and so many people in a confined space there will be germs flying around. Keep your immune system up by eating good food, drinking plenty of water, getting some rest and constantly reapplying hand sanitiser. Especially before you eat.
Have a great trip everyone.